A cool 73°F. Day 14 and 15. Mackinac Island.

The clouds parted. The sun came out. The angels sang. What a glorious cool sunny day on Mackinac Island. The monarch butterflies were abundant.

The 8.2 bike ride was fun. It's been 25 years since I've been on a bike. I wobbled like a 5 yo whenever I started up. My smarter than me sister Gail settled in nicely on a tri-cylcle. I admit it, I was envious.

Mackinac Isle banished horseless carriages in 1895. They've stuck to their guns. Transport is almost 100% bike, feet and horses. We saw Amazon packages, plumbing fixtures and appliances delivered by horse teams. The only motorized vehicles I saw were an ambulance, golf carts, lawn and electric wheelchairs. 

The bad side of Mackinac is the crowd. Ferries drop off hundreds of visitors every 15 minutes. They spill onto the street in search of fudge, mugs,  t-shirts etc. They also wanted food, ice cream and bicycles. Downtown felt a bit like Disneyland. But only a small % of visitors bike more than a mile out of town.

Lovin' this travel thing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passion Projects. Days 20, 22, 23. Marquette, MI. Duluth, MN. Vining, MN.

Tired, Itchy and Hot. Days 55 to 60, Lake Catherine State Park, Hot Springs, AR.