Did something dumb today, Day 27, Teddy's National Park

I knew better. Our plan was to hike early before the heat rolled in and the sun was high.  Keith brought water but not nearly enough. Django was happily sitting in the air conditioned trailer so we didn't have to worry about him.

The hike was three miles in the wilderness on a well defined trail. It wasn't crowded but we weren't alone. Our mission was to see the Petrified Forest. 
The hike was in the most desolate, arid countryside I have ever seen. 

You could see the erosion at work. I saw one mud puddle. Found two little trees for shade. And saw a lot of evidence of bison, elk and deer (tracks and scat.) But half way back to the car I started to feel the effect of the heat and the sun. Nausea and dizziness. Made it back to the car and the airconditioning but it was a struggle. I was particularly grateful for this little piece of shade.
Lesson learned. Tomorrow we will hike at 7 am. 

Comments

  1. Glad you’re OK. I’m very prone to heat exhaustion. Even had heat stroke when I was 12. That’s potentially fatal! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Passion Projects. Days 20, 22, 23. Marquette, MI. Duluth, MN. Vining, MN.

Tired, Itchy and Hot. Days 55 to 60, Lake Catherine State Park, Hot Springs, AR.